Monday, July 27, 2015

Portrait commission finished!


I've just finished a charcoal drawing for a client.  I haven't done any charcoal 
drawings since college and had forgotten how much fun it is!  

Before I started, I decided to do a little research.  I remembered seeing an article
in Artist International a while back.  I was sure I still had the magazine and
patiently sifted through my pile until I found it.  The artist is Ellen Milinich.  She's
best known for her portraits of children in charcoal.  She not only shared her list of preferred
materials, but she explained her methods and actually showed photos of a 
drawing from start to finish.  

My next stop was a google search for the General company, which makes the
 charcoal pencils she prefers.  The General website led me to a video
 by David Jon Kassan, who paints portraits in oil
and draws portraits in charcoal.  David is one of the many talented artists who give
workshops at Scottsdale Artist School.  (I'll put that on my list!)  His youtube
video was a live portrait session in charcoal.  His subject was one of the factory workers 
at the General Pencil Company. 

What's my purpose for this post?  To share the talents of these two artists (click
on their names for the link) and to share my renewed appreciation for the
humble drawing.  

Due to the client's wishes I'm not able to post a photo of the drawing I just
 completed, but I plan on creating a few in the near future that I'll share on my website.
As always, thanks for stopping by!

Life is Art...Paint Your Dreams!





No comments:

Post a Comment